Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 3 - Boston (part II)

Today Chris & I finished looking around Boston city itself.

We started off the day eating an amazing and yummy (and very un-English) breakfast at a local breakfasty type place with our friend.

My pan-cakes topped with apricot, strawberries, kiwis, sesame seeds and maple syrup!! Yes, it was super yummy!


Chris & I then spent the day doing Boston's famous "Freedom Trail", which is a 2.5 mile trail all around Boston looking at famous sights of the American Revolution.
It was also pouring with rain till about noon, which made it an interesting walk under our umbrella, but we had fun!

Chris reading the guide book under the rain!


Me & a red-coat!
(as the British were called in the Revolution!)

The Old State House (the infamous 1770 Boston massacre took place on its steps)

The current state house

Random street performer balancing a ladder on his chin...!

We then went to have a guided tour of the famous USS Constitution ship, also known as "Old Ironside". It is the oldest commissioned vessel in the world and has fought in 40 battles and never lost one.

Interestingly, the reason the ship is basically inpenetrable to canon balls is not because it has iron sides (as its nick-name would suggest) but because the sides of the ship are made of some rare exceedingly hard wood found only in the state of Georgia!


It was a bit embarrassing being the only English people on the tour as the guide kept telling tales of all the British ships that had attacked the USS Constitution in vain, and had then been destroyed by the ship...!


We also wandered into the "Little Italy" area of Boston which was so sweet and totally Italian!

Everyone was speaking Italian, and there were Churches on every corner!

We had a look around St. Leonard's the oldest Catholic Italian Church in Boston which was so so so pretty!


Our Lady of Fatima with Jacinta, Francesco & Lucia in a side garden of the Church.

Chris said I probably shouldn't take pictures of the inside of the Church but it was so lovely and pretty you'll have to believe me! There were really big statues all around the church of so many great saints; not just the well known and well-loved Saints like St. Therese, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. Francis, but also a lot of Saints you don't normally see statues of in Churches, like St. Lucy, St. Peregrine, St. Leo the Great and also our Lady of Mount Carmel!


anyway, I better get to bed now!
We have 2 days left before we leave (..and I head off for Canada!).

We've done so much walking over the last 2 days, I'm exhausted!

God Bless

-x-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE Little Italy. I've only been there once or twice myself ('cause I'm a poor college student), but I loved it. And, yeah, it kinda scared me both times, though, because everyone speaks Italian and I don't. (Granted, I haven't eaten that much there because of the money issue and because I'm the world's pickiest eater).

And, gah, you've been places & done things that I haven't even gotten to do. That's sad for me. I really do study too much. I always pass up the opportunities to go out and do stuff because I'm too busy studying. Sigh. REALLY wish I was there so I could meet you, but I'm glad that you're having such a great time! :o)

antonia said...

Hi Lindz! It's always the way...when you live somewhere it's really easy to neglect properly visiting all the touristy bits because you know you can do it 'any time' !!

Aw! I'm sorry I can't meet you either!! :-)

-x-

Anonymous said...

haven't got over the breakfast yet! YUM!

bryn said...

Hope you enjoy Canada...my homeland.
Luv the Fatima pic...my parish is Our Lady of Fatima in Sydney, Nova Scotia...so I took that pic for my picture archives.