Sunday, July 23, 2006

back from the Carmelites

I had a beautiful beautiful weekend! I want to a Carmeltite Monestary in the middle of the countryside. It was so peaceful and wonderful! Just what I needed to focus on what is truely important and to spend some time in silence trying to listen to God.

Oh! and how increadibly holy the nuns are!

It was so lovely and I would really recommend anyone going on retreat.
It is so easy to get lost in the craziness of today's hectic world, with distractions of tv, music, internet, other people, that we can lose our focus and start stumbling off the path without even realising.
It is really so important to spend time in silence, quitely reflecting on God and listening to Him, without blocking him out with all the distractions.

And the nuns were so holy! How beautiful their vocation is! They truely are at the heart of the world.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

I just returned from visiting a Benedictine seminary and monastery along with visiting the nearby convent. It was wonderful to visit. It was just so spiritual. I have to decide now if I am called to live in a monastic community or live as a diocesan priest.

Margaret said...

Carmelites kick patoot.

Margaret said...

PS Sometimes you don't even need to leave town to have a retreat.

((If the link doesn't work, check the "A Retreat With ..." series.))

antonia said...

MB- We have a Benedictine monastery nearby and I know one of the Priests very well. It's an important decision to make and I guess it depends on what you feel you are best suited for and where God is calling you.


Mags- Yes, the Carmelites are VERY cool!!

wow, that's a pretty interesting series of books. Do you have any? What are they like?

Antonia said...

Wow... a retreat the weekend before the wedding... I should remember this :) (Just came back from a retreat myself last weekend.) It was good to find God in silence after trying hard to find Him in our daily life.

Just a few more days to your wedding day.. may you and Chris find God's grace and strength to face your new life together!