Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Funeral



It was my Uncle's funeral today. I couldn't go because it was in Italy and the flights at such late notice were extremly expensive. I really really really would've liked to go, but, c'est la vie. I went to mass here and partook in the same eternal Eucharistic meal as I would've done in Italy, so I was spiritually present there!

I spoke to my Aunt and my mum (who is staying with my aunt in Italy). My Aunt sounded a bit happier than she has done since Friday.

Apparently there were over 500 people at my Uncle's funeral mass, and the Church was so full that people were standing outside!
He was a police-man and so all the police-force turned up in their uniforms and saluted his coffin as he was carried past them.

My mum also said that since she arrived on Sunday over 200 people have come to my Aunt's house to pass on their condolances and she's recieved several hundred Euros to have masses said for my Uncle's soul. (It's a tradition in Italy to give money to have masses said for the soul of the deceased.)
One person even said they had arranged for a mass to be said every week for 20 years for my Uncle.

I think it made my Aunt really happy to know that he was loved so dearly by so many people.

I loved him a great deal.

:-(


~Eternal rest grant unto Him Oh Lord, may your perpetual light shine upon him, may he rest in peace. Amen~

No comments: