Sunday, September 09, 2007

60 years



I'm back from my weekend with Chris's extended family, as we celebrated 60 years of marriage of his paternal grandparents!

Chris's grandad actually proposed to his grandmother 7 years before they got married.

They had to delay their marriage because of World War II, and he was shipped off to fight...so if they HAD actually got married when grandad had first proposed, they would've been married nearly 70 years by now!!

-
One other cool thing, their 60th wedding anniversary coincides with my 2 year anniversary of Chris proposing to me!

So it was kinda sweet to share an anniversary of sorts with them!
-
It was a very fun weekend and just over 50 relatives came to the celebrations.



We all went to Mass first, where his grandparents renewed their marriage vows (..in the same Church Chris & I got married in!).
-




It was soo sweet because Chris's grandmother had a bouquet with the same flowers she had on her wedding day....white roses and white heather!

and she held it all during the Mass like a bride!

SO SO SWEET!



After Mass there was a big reception at a local hotel, with lots of food, lots of speeches, lots of children and lots of fun!





The food


Me with some of the younger cousins



Chris & his little cousin, who apparently looks just like Chris did when he was little!


(here is a blog post from last year I did with Chris's baby & childhood pictures!!)


also GUESS WHAT?!

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN also celebrated her 60th wedding anniversary this year, and so Chris's grandparents were sent a personalised congratulations card from QUEEN ELIZABETH!!





NO JOKE!!
Here it is:





All is all, a fun weekend!

It was great to see Chris's family again!

-----------

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful..Andrew jr served 2 Diamond Weddings recently..

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oh! How cool! It looks like you had a great time. It really is sweet about the boquet. I hope we make it 60 years! Thank you for sharing this wonderful event with us. You look so sweet with that baby... I know, I know, you get pressure all of the time, probably...I'm just sayin'!

Unknown said...

A personal letter from HRH the Queen! Sweet!

Felix Randal said...

Congratulations to them! And the food looked amazing...